In 1995 and 2005 respectively these former 2 Presidents made speeches about immigration in America.
President Bill Clinton and Barack Obama speeches about immigration sound a lot like the current President’s opinion on the topic. They were seen at tough on immigration while the current President is called a racist and a Nazi . Oh have times have changed.
Listen for yourself and tell you me can’t imagine President Trump saying there exact same things.
President Bill Clinton State of the Union 1995
Then Senator Barack Obama in 2005
How about Chuck Schumer in 2009?
Here are the seven principles he laid out during this speech when it comes to illegal immigration.
- Illegal immigration is wrong. A primary goal of comprehensive immigration reform must be to dramatically curtail future illegal immigration.
- Operational control of our borders, through significant additional increases in infrastructure, technology and border personnel must be achieved within a year of enactment.
- A biometric-based employment verification system with tough enforcement and auditing is necessary to significantly diminish the job magnet that attracts illegal aliens to the United States and to provide certainty and simplicity for employers.
- All illegal aliens present in the United States on the date of enactment of our bill must quickly register their presence with the United States government and submit to a rigorous process of converting to legal status and earning the path to citizenship, or face imminent deportation.
- Family immigration is a cornerstone value of our immigration system. By dramatically reducing illegal immigration, we we can create more room for family immigration and employer-based immigration.
- We must encourage the world’s best and brightest individuals to come to the United States and create the new technologies and businesses that will employ countless American workers. But we must discourage businesses from using our immigration laws as a means to obtain temporary and less expensive foreign labor to replace capable American workers.
- We must create a system that converts the current flow of primarily low skill illegal immigrants into the United States into a more manageable and controlled flow of legal immigrants who can be absorbed by our economy.
Sounds a lot like President Trump don't they.